Thursday, July 2, 2009

Salmon Festivus for the Rest-of-Us



"Sure, I'll organize the parade!"


When I was a kid we would go with my Grandma to the 'May Day' parade in Cumberland. One year I dressed up as a jester and won $10 for Best Comic Releif. The parade had a bands, some floats, and lots of candy. For those who don't know, Cumberland is a small town just west of Courtenay, and the May Day parade was a small parade. So when I was asked to organize the Oval contingent for the Salmon Fest in Steveston, I said no problem. I mean how big could it be...

Well, I know now that Salmon Fest is the littlest big birthday party that Canada throws on July 1st. And that it usually draws around 70,000 people (this year 100,000). Needless to say, being a rookie at parading, I was in slightly over my head. But with a lot of help, the parade went off without a hitch. We gave away free passes and promo's for our Oval Kids Summer Camps and our Summer Gold 3 month for $100, along with flyers, totes, and yo-yo's. By far we had the best shwag there! Check out the photo's.



AND with some help I got a hold of a Salmon mascot costume! As you can see it was a sauna in there! The only way I survived was to have Angela and Pat duct tap ice packs to my chest! Oh but what glory... Salmon Man... majestic.


When I can, I'll try to get a hold of some video.



No comments:

Post a Comment